Mold Types Found In Homes
The mold is a type of fungus present everywhere in the natural environment including your homes. These are microscopic microorganisms which gets dispersed in the air (present in the dust) and flourishes when gets favorable climatic conditions.
Generally, if mold growth is very fewer people do not pay much attention towards it, but this is wrong as mold can be harmful and causes serious diseases. Hence, they should not be tolerated. If you want to keep mold away from your home the key to a safe home is keeping your home moisture resistant.
Molds grow in two conditions-
- Food (nutrients)
Types of Molds Generally Found in Home-
- Alternaria- This fungus is usually found in the outdoors, damp areas like in washrooms near the sink, toilet pipes, etc. If there is any leakage in the building or if the structure is flooded with water you can see their growth. They spread quickly from one place to another and causes health problems like asthma and bronchitis.
- Aureobasidium- This is an outdoor mold, but they grow inside the home too, and the places they prosper is a wallpaper, timber surfaces, and painted areas. You can find them on damp surfaces too, like window corners and frames. These are pink and black colored fungi and causes allergies like skin rash, sneezing etc.
- Aspergillus- These are typically found in homes and also cause respiratory diseases and allergies. Inflammation is the common problem which occurs if you get in contact with them.
- Chaetomium-These grows on drywall and unrelenting water damages. They release musty and fussy odors.
- Botrytis- They prosper in highly humid areas like bathrooms. They cause allergies and skin infections. To avoid them keep your washrooms ventilated.
- Cladosporium- These are inherent types of fungus found in homes and unlike other molds which prosper in warm climatic conditions these grow in cooler areas. Respiratory disease is caused by these microbes and can also be found in cabinets, carpets, and ducts.
- Fusarium- Another type of mold like Cladosporium which grows in low temperatures. They grow in water damaged areas and cause allergies, asthma, and respiratory tract issues.
- Penicillium- These grow on surfaces and places damaged by water like carpets, furnishings, wooden frames, wallpaper, food and insulated items. These are highly communicable and spread quickly from one place to another. It can cause severe health problems like sinus, chronic infections and lung inflammations. They are green and blue in color.
- Serpula Lacrymans- These are yellow in color and form dry rots. They feed on wood surfaces and materials made of wood.
- Stachybotrys Chartarum- Commonly known as black mold these molds are toxic in nature and contains mycotoxins which causes health problems like asthma attacks, fatigue, chronic infections, sneezing, coughing, breathing problems, headache and depression. They grow generally in damp areas and releases musty odors.
- Trichoderma- Grows on the damp carpet, walls, pipes, and wet areas. As black molds, they also release a toxic substance called mycotoxins and causes allergies and lung diseases.
- Efflorescence- These are powdery molds and often get confused with white molds.
So which Mold resides in your home?
Go for professional mold test kit available in the market to know which mold has attacked your home and if the condition is uncontrollable then go for professional which will test your home and will perform remedial actions to remove molds from your home.