There are several consequences of having mold in your home. Even though some people take this issue lightly, having mold in your home can be detrimental not only to your house structure but health as well. There are numerous symptoms associated with mold exposure and they include; headaches, skin rashes, hives, migraines, breathing difficulties, sneezing, eye irritation, sinus infections, pneumonia, bronchitis and lung hemorrhage among others. The severity of symptoms is known to vary depending on the amount of mold and period of exposure. Symptoms can be anything from mild to severe and in some instances, life threatening.
Wheezing is a common symptom associated with individuals who have mold allergy. This is a whistling like loud which is heard especially when you’re breathing air out of the lungs via airways which are narrow. The key reasons that contribute to wheezing are; airways becoming narrow after they’ve been inflamed, hypersensitivity which is as a result of infections, irritants and allergens as well as muscles around the bronchial tubes becoming tighter (also known as bronchospasm).
In summary, any illness or condition that causes the airways to become constricted causing wheezing. Wheezing doesn’t manifest alone; in most cases it is accompanied by shortness of breath and coughing. Anaphylaxis is a serious life threatening allergic reaction that can cause wheezing.
How Does Mold Exposure Cause Wheezing?
As earlier mentioned, it is not good to have mold in your home because among other conditions, it causes wheezing.
So, how does this happen?
The presence of mold in your houses sends microscopic mold spores into the air which increases the risk of inhalation. When you inhale these mold spores, they cause an irritation to the sensitive throat linings, lungs as well as bronchial tubes. Once the throat, lungs and bronchial tubes become inflamed, they begin to inhibit airflow which makes you begin wheezing.
On the other hand, inhaling mold spores spurs infections on the lungs, bronchial tubes and sinuses causing an increase in mucous production and other secretions further complicating airflow and making wheezing to become louder.
It’s good to mention that when you wheeze, it not only about the odd sound you emit but it also signifies lack of sufficient air and difficulty in breathing. Wheezing makes you feel uncomfortable and can cause panic.
How Mold Exposure Causes Shortness of Breath
A lot of people who wheeze often suffer from shortness of breath as a result of the inflammation of the airways, lungs and the throat which restricts airflow and causes swelling. Mold spores inhalation can cause major infections such as pneumonia, sinusitis and bronchitis which are known to cause breathing difficulties. People with asthma can have intensified attacks and new asthma cases can also be diagnosed.
Shortness of breath causes great discomfort and when oxygen levels drop to dangerous low amounts, immediate medical assistance is required because this condition is life-threatening.
What Should You Do If You Suspect Wheezing is Because of Mold Allergy?
Wheezing is caused a number of other health conditions but if you believe mold in your home is responsible for your wheezing, the first thing you should do is to see a doctor. In order to receive appropriate medical attention, tell your doctor you have mold in your home. In most cases, doctors order a series of tests which include blood tests as well as x-rays to determine the source of the problem and how it can be addressed.
Once a diagnosis has been made, your doctor will prescribe medication. However, your chances of recovery might be compromised if you still have mold in house. Continued exposure can cause worsening of symptoms even when you’re already on treatment. In order to recover fully, it is important to ensure your home is completely mold free.
How to Go About Mold Removal
The first thing you need to do after you have spotted mold in your house is to make arrangements to have it removed. This is critical to avoid continued exposure to mold which triggers mold related health issues. If you have mold related symptoms and you’re currently on medication or have just completed your treatment, removing mold from your home should be a top priority for you.
There are some homeowners who resort to DIY methods to remove mold from their homes. In as much as this is cheaper, it is not advisable especially for individuals who have already been affected by mold and are receiving treatment for mold related complications. Even if you’re aware of the procedures of mold removal, it’s best to have a professional do this for you because exposure to a higher density of mold spores can significantly take a toll on your health. If you must do mold removal by yourself, it advisable to first consult with your doctor and let them advise you whether to go ahead or not based on your current health status.
Getting Help from an Expert Mold Remediation Professional
Consulting a mold remediation professional is the best way to get rid of mold from your house. Once you have searched and found a mold remediation company, contact them so that you can set up an appointment and have a mold remediation professional visit your home. Once they arrive at your home, they will thoroughly examine your entire home for mold using approved methods of testing known for their high levels of accuracy.
Once the testing has been completed and all areas with mold identified, an expert will have a session with you to discuss the extent of mold growth in your home as well as the best procedure that can be used to eliminate mold from your home. Fortunately, there are no costs associated with the inspection so you don’t have to worry about spending anything.
An expert visit to your home is useful because you’ll benefit from great advice tips that will help you a great deal should you decide to remove mold on your own. The internet is a great tool you can use to find information about companies that offer free inspections. Letting a professional help you out is the only guaranteed way to keep mold out of your home forever.