Submit original article and get paid. Find out More

How to Tackle Mold on High Ceilings

Tackling mold should always be a priority. Once mold takes hold, it is difficult to eradicate, but if you don’t take steps to kill and remove a mold infestation, it can have serious repercussions for your health. A New York woman spent 35 years of her life virtually bed-ridden after being slowly poisoned by toxic black mold in her family’s basement.ceiling-fan-1333756_960_720

Royalty Free Photo

The toxin caused a serious of allergies, infections, and serious health problems that left doctors baffled. Dana Anhalt was eventually diagnosed with Lyme disease, but still her problems refused to go away. It wasn’t until experts discovered a mold infestation had been growing in the basement for many years that Dana finally had the answers she needed. The family had to leave their apartment immediately, leaving everything behind because it was contaminated with mold spores, but at least Dana now has a chance to get back to full health away from the toxic environment where she grew up.

Treating a Mold Infestation

Because black mold is so toxic, you can’t afford to ignore any growing in your home, but if you have mold growing on a high ceiling, it can be a challenge to remove the infestation. High ceilings are common in older properties and commercial buildings and neither is immune to mold problems. In fact, in an older property, mold is more likely to be an issue, as many older properties are riddled with damp and have poor ventilation.

Safe Working

Small patches of mold can be removed, but you need to be very careful when working at height. In addition to wearing goggles, a facemask and safety gloves, you also need to have safe access to the area in question. A regular height ceiling can be accessed via a pair of stepladders, but an abnormally high ceiling will need specialist equipment or a safe work platform.

There are plenty of places where can find specialist safety gear such as safety harnesses and confined space safety equipment, so if your working space is tricky, look at your options before you begin tackling the mold. If the problem is extensive, it may be worth hiring in a professional contractor.

Clean and Prevent

Once you have access sorted out, the next stage is to clean the area with a solution of water and mild detergent. Leave the area to dry and then treat with a bleach solution. Wait for this to dry before reapplying the bleach. This will kill the mold spores and prevent regrowth.

It’s important to remember that mold spores can survive an initial cleaning project. Always close windows and switch off ventilation systems to prevent spores spreading to other areas of the house. A mild Borax solution applied to the affected area should inhibit future mold growth, but it’s important to deal with the underlying issues, which are generally poor ventilation and too much moisture in the air.

To prevent further infestations, open windows, install extraction fans in bathrooms, and clean humid areas regularly.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *